Thursday, June 24, 2010

The Colosseum! - By Danielle Hassman

From my journal- May 28th. I woke up early to go to the Colosseum. To get there we had to take the line A metro system to line B. We were able to do this easily without any complications. It was a good feeling to know that we already knew the metro system so well in less than a week of being here. The B line was much dirtier and uncomfortable than the A line. The metro cart was packed and smelled terrible. It made us appreciate being able to take line A on the metro daily to get to class. I felt very uncomfortable on the B line and couldn’t wait to get off. However, as soon as I got out of the metro station, I could see the Colosseum and it made it all worth while. This was very amazing because I didn’t expect to see it right away. It’s so much different when you see any of these Roman sites in person after hearing about them for so many years. The view is just incredible with the rustic building and exciting to know that you are actually seeing history. Once inside the Colosseum, it was hard to imagine how it once looked and how fights would take place but once we read from a terrific, detailed guide book I was able to visualize how it once was and the guide book pointed out the only small section of seats that were left as well as the meaning of the cross in the middle of the stadium, which is where the emperor is believed to have sat. Of course it looks completely different than it did years ago. We were starting to walk around the Colosseum when it started pouring rain on us, ruining our time there. I was able to see everything inside the building and the old artifacts but the rain put a small damper on our day. I am overwhelmed with the sites I am able to see here and love that I can actually see and touch history. Even though the city is so rustic and tagged up with graffiti, I still think it’s absolutely beautiful!

*Danielle



No comments:

Post a Comment