Thursday, June 24, 2010

Ciao Ciao Italia!

I cannot believe that our time in Rome is coming to an end. Five weeks ago I was looking forward to an amazing experience and today I can say that it has been just that. Each day brought new adventures while exploring the Eternal City. At times our adventures consisted of stumbling upon monuments, trying to ask directions with what little Italian we knew or finding out what you ordered to eat was not what you were expecting.  Living in a big city has its advantages including accessible and easy public transportation, unlimited choices for food, and gelataries at every corner.  I can say that my favorite part of this trip was outside of the hustle and bustle of the city. My roommates and myself traveled to various cities in Italy together and were able to see some of the most beautiful and picturesque sights.These locations include the Almalfi Coast, Cinque Terre and Greve in Chianti. These spots were my favorite because of the peaceful environments and the quietness that brought ease.  The Almalfi Coast had a ravishing coast line with jagged cliffs and cities somehow perched upon them.  Cinque Terre is a string of five lovely coastal communities which includes one of Italy's National Parks and an example of the preservation of their gorgeous environment.  Breathtaking views from the cliffs and brilliant blue waters were what we were able to see as we hiked along the coast from town to town.  Greve in Chianti was where we were able to take in one of Italy's finest attributes, Chianti Classico wine. When I think of wine country I imagine rolling hills, vineyards and generous Italians: this is exactly the things we found. Trying to find all of these things in the city are impossible with vespas zooming through the streets, cars honking, and numerous people on the streets at any given time. The weekend getaways were my favorite part of the our time here in Italy and I am so grateful to have had the time to enjoy these magnificent locations. As we all go our ways I think we can all end this trip knowing we have had one of the greatest opportunities of our lives and we will always have these wonderful memories of Italy

No comments:

Post a Comment